Wednesday, June 22, 2011

View from my window

There are downsides to our vintage house, but there are so many things that I really love about it. I love the layout, the storage is really well thought out. I love that there are two bathrooms (we have never had that before), I really like the room sizes and I love our location. We can't really see our neighbors from any of our main windows and even though we are smack dab in the middle of a suburb, it has a feeling of seclusion.
.
Our neighbors are really nice and the kids love each other. We go to the park with them and hang out. It is so nice that when you are in close proximity to others that they are such nice people. Their kids are the same age and both sides have their sets of tantrums. We hear them very rarely and they same the same about us.
.
I am often doing dishes and/or cleaning up after a meal. The first thing I do in the morning is to open the blinds above the sink because I love what I see when I look out. A little grove of trees and bushes and it is so peaceful. The light filters through the trees and there is always a new design of light playing on the ground. For being a place that I spend a lot of time in, it is really peaceful and always leaves me feeling centered.
The downsides to this place? Cell reception is the PITS. There is one "sweet" spot of reception and that is right above my microwave on top of the tissue box. If I leave it there I usually will get most of my texts and or calls. If I try to answer the phone and move it from it's special spot I lose reception completely, so when a call does make it through I carefully hit the send button and then carefully hit the speaker button and then pray it doesn't shift at all.
.
Other downside? Sugar Ants. Which I count my blessings with this one, because in the great big world of bugs, sugar ants are the lesser of all the evils. But those little bastards get into EVERYTHING. I mop and sweep and never leave a mess but on the rare occasion that a crumb of granola bar on the floor misses my attention, rest assured within the hour there are a troop of the little devils on it and leading a trail to it. I had to throw out three boxes of cereal the first week as well as a bag of brown sugar. I now double ziploc the sugar and keep anything remotely sugary in air tight containers. I have a date with Dale the Bug man today to come and spray my house with an eco-friendly bug killer. My neighbors got theirs done and she said besides the rare ant she sees here or there they don't have any problems anymore. All her ants just waltzed over to my place!
.
Upside to this is that I don't have to pay a dime for them to spray the inside and the outside, our housing management takes care of it and I can get it done monthly if I so desire! Also it has helped me to keep my house it tip top shape to combat the beastly devils!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ants abound in CA. That is just the truth. At least you don't have a mole. The description of your house sounds lovely...reminds me of my apartment in Bellingham, with the view from the kitchen window and feeling of seclusion, even though you aren't really secluded. It's restful. I'm glad they spray for you guys. I love THIS stuff for keeping bugs and what not OUTSIDE: http://www.amazon.com/Aura-Cacia-Mist-Lavender-spray/dp/B000MXBXOC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1308762507&sr=1-3

Mice and insects HATE the smell. I just put it around the door frames.

It sounds like you are having a lot of fun and settling in. I'm so happy for you!

Lindsay said...

We had an ant problem in our apartment up until 2 weeks ago. We think they came up through the cement crack in the apartment foundation--and lived under the carpet and had a network of trails under the carpet. We commonly saw them in the bathroom. (? no food in there)Well, we saw ant holes outside by the edge of our patio....and poured bleach on them. They haven't been seen since. Seems effective. None are inside since we hit the piles outside.

Glad you are enjoying California!!! Looks like fun in the sun.

Peter and Lesha said...

remember hawaii? so glad you can take care of them at no cost to you :)