Friday, June 24, 2011

Putting myself out there.

So I really wanted to skip over the whole awkward "hey I'm the new girl" thing with this move. I think I accomplished that goal. It really helps that our ward at church is really transient what with people moving in and out because different classes graduate year round. It's hard even for the most seasoned "I am involved in every activity possible" person to know who everyone is. So basically the first Sunday I just adopted the attitude that I had been here forever and my bluff worked to get me over that initial awkwardness and just jump into things.
.
I have really made a conscious effort to keep my house tidy so I would be ready if someone happened to stop by or if I felt the urge to invite someone over, it wouldn't be drama for me. Not that I couldn't have people over if my house was messy, but I just know instead of being able to enjoy myself and really be in the moment and getting to know the person, I would be thinking about all the cleaning I wish I had done etc. Having my house in good working order has really given me the confidence I needed. Like watching my new friends kids in the morning, I spontaneously ask them to stay for lunch. It is fun and laid back and not stressful for me, and as such I can really be in the moment.
.
Especially if I feel awkward at the park or whatever and don't know the people there, especially at these times, I make a point to move past those awkward feelings and introduce myself and ask about their day. Even if that is the only time I end up seeing them I feel good that I smiled and chatted with someone. It is really cool when I see them again and it is such a pleasant surprise to know someone in an impromptu park visit.
.
PARKS ARE THE PLACE. It is the driving force to the day. Going to the park, playing at the park, talking to other Mom's at the park. It is the be-all-end-all of my social networking.
.
I had been longing for some real quality girl time. Thinking how nice it would be to have some strictly girl time, watch a movie, pig out on yummy food. No babies, no schedules, just GIRLS. There was about a week I was pining over this and just wishing somebody would plan something... AND then invite me.
.
Yesterday I just thought what my friend Jayme said. I can't remember direct quote but it was something to the effect of...
You make the life you want. It's up to you. If you want fun things to happen, plan them. If you want workout groups to happen, plan them. You are going to be the one to start this stuff up. It's up to you.
Then I realized, if I want to have girl time, why do I have to wait for someone to plan stuff. I CAN plan stuff. I shot out some texts to gals I had hung out with a lot, Ariane (awesome neighbor), Susan and Tammy. I invited them over for chick flicks and luckily they all could come. I made some yummy's to eat while watching the movie and got all the fun girl time I had been wanting to badly.
.
I can have the life I want. It's just up to me and getting over my own insecurities. Sometimes it will back fire on me (and it has), the alternative is just sitting at home all day wishing for my life to start. I am putting myself out there and I like it.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I love this about you. Great post.

The Wilson Pratt Wilson Family said...

Your attitude about putting yourself out there is a huge inspiration to me. We are moving next week and I totally hate that awkward "hi, I'm the new girl" phase. Being outgoing is something that I have always struggled with, but I think I am ready to take charge of my life and make new friends...for my sanity! This post really put things into perspective for me. It doesn't have to be awkward...but it's up to me! Thanks Vashti! Hope you guys are loving CA. What a dream to be that close to the beach!

Peter and Lesha said...

I don't think this is new for you is it ? :) I have always known you to do this, that;s one thing I love about you. so glad you got girl time

Jayme said...

I'm so glad that you are having a blast!

Anonymous said...

Good post. I had this attitude when I first moved to Bellingham. I have not really had the same attitude in the Tri-Cities. Well at first I did, then I got pregnant and I wasn't social the entire 9 months of it. So I guess I need to start it up again. I miss Bellingham. It was fun there.