Monday, June 20, 2011

Father's Day Weekend

After having some cloudy days this week the fog all cleared away by the weekend and it was so nice! Friends of ours that go to school with Marcus invited us to go and play some beach volleyball Saturday afternoon at Lover's Point. It was SO MUCH FUN! The girls did great and played in the sand and there were some shady parts for them to keep cool. I hadn't played volleyball in quite a while and it was fun to get back into it again.
.
Marcus and I were on opposite teams and I really enjoyed heckling him. Somebody woke up cranky that day and I felt like that certain someone was owed some heckling that day. It was pretty awesome. I had pretty mad volleyball skills that day too, which was also pretty awesome.
Our court was just up above this little swimming cove. The iron fencing kept most of our stray balls in, but there were quite a few times we had to chase it down into the swimming area.
Proof that I exist! After our games we walked down to the water and dipped our feet in to cool off.
This is about as far into the water as I dared to venture. There is an Alaskan current that flows by and gets drawn into our bay. Alaskan current + Monterey Bay= FRIGID COLD WATER. You can't always get it all. We have tons of beach, cool breezy weather, gorgeous waves crashing the shore but not really swimmable water. I tell you what though, just dipping my feet in that water for 5 minutes cooled me ALL the way off, which is really the point of going into the water in the first place... right? I guess Carmel (20 min drive) has a nice beach for swimming and we plan on hitting that up sometime soon!
After dinner on Sunday we decided to take a family walk to our favorite park..... SUPER PARK! Beach volleyball, basket ball court, BATHROOMS!, covered pavilion with bbq-ing stations and then the actual park area.
Marcus had a service project that night that was right around the corner from the park, so we spent some time there altogether and he left for the service project and we went home for baths. Some people were moving out the next day and needed help doing the final clean.
This is the little kid section of Super Park.
This is the rock wall and the big kid section of the park. The girls love it there! Bianca climbs the big kid park and goes down the twisty slide all by herself. She will do it a dozen times in a row. The first few times she really freaked me out with her need for thrill but I am getting used to the idea that this little gal just needs to live life to it's fullest. I just observe from a distance, but close enough to catch her if she falls.
The swings are in between the two play areas. Olivia was pretty pumped to be matching Daddy as he was wearing his Army PT shirt as well!
Bianca always goes for the swings first and then proceeds to explore. Our ward does pies for the Dad's on Fathers Day. Each Dad gets to pick own their own pie after church. They had sign up sheets for it and were quite a few pies short by the time the weekend hit (all the ladies volunteer to make pies for the men to choose from). I made some extras and Saturday I felt like a bakery! 6 pies made by lunch time, whew!
.
Marcus said it was the hardest decision he has had to make. 100 pies all laid out in the kitchen at church and you can only choose one. He picked a chocolate strawberry cream pie and share it with Olivia and I. It tasted REAL good, he picked his pie well!

2 comments:

Peter and Lesha said...

wow pies for the dads that is crazy and sounds so good. what a fun time to be outside all the time :)

Unknown said...

I've been there! There's a geocache at the top of that cliff!

Asilomar has a great beach too... the body surfing is pretty decent. We always rent wetsuits... you may "need" to invest :)