Now that I am getting caught up on all my blogging, I figured I would just start with Benson's birth and fill in the rest as I sort through pictures.
I want to type it all down first too before I start to get fuzzy on the details. The week leading up to his birth was CRAZY busy. Michelle was flying in and I had Olivia's birthday part planned for that week. I left her party to the last minute because we wanted Michelle to come but Michelle's flight ended up being delayed and she missed it. Olivia was counting down to her party (Michelle coming was a surprise) so we didn't want to push back her party when she was so excited for it.
I had been dilated to a 3 for two weeks and had contractions off and on. I went and got a pedicure early in the week and the foot massage part totally put me into labor. My nail lady was kinda freaking out and was rushing through the end of the painting of my nails because the contractions were so intense haha. But they petered out by that evening which was good because Michelle was coming in two days and we invited her to be a part of the delivery, if she wanted, which she did.
So Michelle gets into town on a Wed and we try and show her around, taking her out to eat and seeing some of the sights, also while trying to induce my labor. This pregnancy was a douzie for my body and I was REALLY feeling it. End of pregnancy is just brutal anyway but my body seems to feel rougher with it each time.
So we had Ramen talked and walked and walked and walked to try to get things moving with this baby. I had a Doc appointment on Friday morning and I was at a 4. She stripped my membranes and I thought good labor thoughts and went about my day. Michelle and I went shopping at the BX and I went up as many stairs as I could to try and get things going. Contractions would start but then would stop. I decided to invite friends over for dinner and to play games after. Michelle thought I was crazy for doing it but I told her a watched pot never boils. If I just stood around waiting for it to happen I would go crazy and would not go into labor, so party it was!
I made home made mac and cheese and we feasted like kings. I also went on a cleaning spree that afternoon. We had Seth and Shauni and Murphy come over for dinner and games. Once we started playing games I had a couple of good contractions going. Everyone was getting super pumped and asking me labor questions and checking if I needed to stop playing games and go to the hospital. I assured everyone that labor takes FOREVER and I probably wouldn't have the baby til tomorrow at the earliest and I was in no rush to go anyway. We played games and everyone went home.
It was like 10:30, Marcus, Michelle and I were talking. I started to get strong contractions with regularity. They were feeling pretty intense. We started timing them and they were consistent at 7 min apart. I kept debating whether or not to go in. By 11 they were feeling pretty good so I decided to take a shower and get myself all ready. Marcus timed them in the shower and they jumped to 3 min apart. I had him call my friend Jessica to come over and stay at the house while us three could go to the hospital. By the time Jessica got there at midnight I was really feeling them and knew the baby train was coming.
We got in the car which was the brutal part for me. I DO NOT LIKE SITTING OR LAYING DOWN FOR CONTRACTIONS. AT ALL. I need to be able to walk them out and walk/bounce my way through the pain. The hospital is at Camp Lester which is a good 20 min drive. So getting into that van equaled 20 min of Hell. I had Marcus put on Mumford and Sons (they put me in my happy place) and tried to stay calm. Marcus did some tricksy driving and got us there a little quicker than normal haha.
Once we got to the hospital it was 12:30. They wanted to observe me for 20 min on the fetal monitor and see how my contractions were and then they would check me. If everything looked good than they would admit me. Enter the second 20 mins of Hell. I had to stay laying down on that bed during that observation time and I was NOT happy about it. We still hadn't told anyone that we had gone into the hospital. I wanted to make sure they were going to admit us before we started spreading the word. They checked me after 20 min and I was at a 6. They moved us to a room and started getting me set up.
They told me they would have to put me on the baby monitor for a little bit each hour just to check in on the baby but I could labor standing up if I wanted until they had to monitor me again. We had really great staff and nurses except for one. She was crabby Mccraberson and I was not a fan. When she put in my IV (just in case with my history with Olivia) she leaked blood all over me and the floor and wasn't even going to clean it up until Michelle called her out on it.
So it didn't feel like we were in the room for that long, we went back there at 1 am. The contractions were really intense and I told Marcus to get the nurses and that I felt pressure. In less than an hour and I went to a 10. They had set us up in the room but then hadn't really come back to check on me so they started scrambling when they realized how fast I was going. My Doctor, Dr. Tracy Alexander has just got there 5 min earlier so everyone was scrambling to get things ready.
I asked if they were going to break my water and they said it would just break while I was pushing.
DO NOT READ FURTHER IF YOU DON'T WANT TO MUCH TMI.
So they set up and said I could start pushing. I all of a sudden felt really tired. In my head I was like "great now I have to push him out. Do I have to??". I just felt exhausted and like I couldn't do it. I gave one push half heartedly and Dr. Alexander said I made great progress with that one. I figured if I wasn't really trying on that one that if I REALLY went for it maybe I could get him out quick. So I really pushed and my water broke. It didn't just break, it EXPLODED. It shot out across the end of the bed and went all over my Dr as well as the nurses around her. Everyone was silent for a second and then the laughter and "way to go girl!". It was so crazy. They kinda mopped up a little bit. I turned to Marcus and said "I don't think I can do this." Then he said something encouraging like "You got this, just push really hard and you can get him out." Michelle said I looked at him and gave him the equivalent of a death ray look which ended that conversation haha.
It is still crazy to me when I look at him sometimes. I grew up with sisters and my Mom. No boys in the house. It was all girl all the time. It is so crazy and awesome that I have a son. That Marcus and I have sons and daughters.
We were all just in such a happy place and Michelle turns to Mccraberson and asks her "Don't you just love your job?!?" to which Miss Crabby replied "We don't GET to pick which department we work in". After that we all just wanted her gone and out of our room. The rest of the staff we encountered was the nicest ever which I am so grateful for.
So he was born at 2:28 AM. We all kinda looked at each other and I was like "No one even knows we are here huh?". Everything went so quick that we hadn't even emailed anyone to tell them we went to the hospital.
So we started clicking some pictures and letting folks back home know the news!
The girls came the next day to see their brother for the first time. It was love at first site and they have been enamored with him ever since. Such good big sisters!
Benson went the better part of a week without a name. I really wanted to be 100% on his name and I didn't feel totally sure when we were in the hospital like I had been with the girls. So we took our time and let it marinate. I am glad we did it because it was a really relaxing time to just get to know him and his little personality. He is perfect and he is ours!
Here is Dr. Alexander. I LOVE LOVE LOVE her! Best Doctor I have ever had. She is so nice and thoughtful. I always leave her office feeling uplifted. She is our family Doctor so the girls, Benson and I all see her. It totally works out awesome because if I have an appointment for one of us but something comes up with someone else that needs to be seen she just takes care of it all in the same appointment. She even brought Benson a baby present of a cute new outfit and two new Cinderella books for the girls!! I am SO grateful for her!
3 comments:
What a beautiful story and a beautiful baby boy. So happy for your sweet family.
I have missed your posts. I can seriously here you talking when I read them and I love it!
Glad you have a good support system there too.
They got what they deserved! Of course your water exploded! What were they thinking not breaking it before you pushed? I HATE that part where you have to sit on the table and be monitored for 20 minutes. That just about killed me with Gloria. Here's how I got out of it: I just got off the table and started wandering around labor and delivery begging through tears to be let out of the table/monitoring deal. If I saw Brandon's face, I just said, "Go tell them I won't do this monitoring thing." I am the worst patient, though. I love your story. I am glad you got to the hospital on time! Wow! Congratulations on your baby boy!
I love a birth story! Congrats!
Post a Comment