Tuesday, August 3, 2010

More of Most Magical Road Trip

We ended our vacation by going to Ma and Papa's cabin at Bear Lake. We stopped on our way at Lava to play in the pool, we just took the big girls while Kaitlyn's Mom had the babies. We were pretty tuckered out after that and the car ride to the cabin seemed never ending. And then we arrived. Trying to put into words what I felt when we drove up to the cabin seems just about impossible. The view is amazing, Bear Lake is amazing.
Looking down at the lake you see this humongous water mass that is varying shades of Caribbean blue. The minerals in the water react with the sunlight to create this canvas of ever changing shades of marine. The lake is bordered by these desert mountains that are speckled with sage brush. The billowy clouds overhead leaved dappled sections of shade on the lake and the mountains. It was breathtaking.
The beach was sandy and lovely. The water was cool and refreshing but not too cold. The kids played and mucked about. Engineering luxurious sand castles, while a demolition crew came along shortly thereafter to tear it all down (Isla). We dug deep into the sand and warmed our faces in the sun.
We packed lunches with us to maximize our beach time.
We got creative with the sun protection. Ever wondered what SPF 1000 looks like? Behold the the sun screened hat baby!
I forgot to bring her sun hat and her head was looking a little roasty, so I slathered the stuff on her.
She had so much fun eating all the dirt she could get her pudgy little hands on.

This little monkey fell out of the bed during the night and gave herself quite the wicked looking bruise on her cheek.

The turtle floaty came in quite handy for my oldest child, who is very cautious when it comes to adventure. My baby, on the other hand is quite fearless with the water. She relaxed in her little floaty and enjoyed just lounging in the water.
Aren't those clouds so lovely? That pit in front of my toes was a hole we dug out. The water would seep in and get warmed by the sun and sand. We called it our hot tub.

The tub would be full of sand and grit after baths. Swim diapers would be a pound heavier due to the extra sand that found its way in. But any amount of clean up would be worth it to see smiles like this on your children's faces.

I totally consider this vacation such a gift. It couldn't have come at more perfect timing, what with me being a temporary single parent right now. It was busy and it was also SO MUCH fun. The time at the cabin did wonders for me. I would drink up the view every chance I could get. I could feel my spiritual cup fill to overflowing. I know that when times get tough and frustrating, I can look back on this time, remember the view and the feelings I felt there. To be surrounding by so many kind and caring people. It makes my heart want to burst open just to think about it.
.
We also went to a play one of the nights at the Lake. It was at the Pickleville Theater (they serve pickle-sickles during intermission). The play was Crazy for You and it was performed by these amazingly talented young adults that would come and live at Bear Lake during the vacation season. They were mostly theater majors from BYU and other surrounding universities. They were AMAZING!! It really renewed the desire in me to see more plays like this. It was SO MUCH FUN!!

5 comments:

Musicmom-Amy said...

LOVE Bear Lake!!! It's a little slice on heaven on earth.

Andrea said...

I'm glad you had a good trip. I was a little worried about your blogging absence, being a single mom and all, then Lesha told me you were out of town. Phew!
I recognize the shirt of Marcus's from eons ago. Funny!
You are amazing, thanks for the catch-up.

April said...

I LOVE vacations, this place looks like SO much fun and so beautiful, where is Bear Lake??

By the way I got sad and choked up reading about your husband being gone. Hang in there.
April

Jayme said...

Glad you had a good time. Glad you're home I missed you're posts everyday.

Vashti said...

April- Bear Lake is half in Utah and half in Idaho. Google it!!
I think everyone should go there at least once... except not at the same time...part of what is lovely about it is how it's not so crowded...dang it, I probably shouldn't have blogged about it... or at least used a pseudonym...