We have been working on not "sassin" when we talk. Which basically means not talking in a snarky or snappy way (and by we I mean EVERYONE, not just toddlers). It's not the word necessarily, but the manner in which the word is said. We successfully broke Olivia of saying "stop it!!!", which she would yell and snarl anytime you told her to stop something. (Geeze that makes her sound like a bad kid, I just have no tolerance for disrespect so I am trying to nip things in the bud. It's not like she walks around all day yelling and growling at me).
.
So the words sometime change but the tone of voice is the same. I tell her not to "sass" me because I figure that covers the tone, instead of just getting her to stop a certain phrase and then just move on to a different phrase with the same tone. Wait, I don't mean I would let swear at me as long as she was doing it nicely.... Wow... I'm not sure I am explaining myself very well.
.
Okay carrying on. Lately it has been "what" whenever I call her. When you read "what" think "What MOM?!? I can't possibly have a spare moment to listen to anything you have got to say and you are wasting my time." Not that that is what she is saying, but the word "what" comes across like a thirteen year old rebelling against her parents. I had deduced that half the time (or 3/4 of the time) she does it TO sass me, but the other times she just says it like that in that way out of habit because she had been saying it every five minutes all day.
.
My assessment was right when I called her and she yelled out "WHAT?!?" only to quickly correct herself and say "yes Mommy?! I'n sowie... It was an accibent". I hadn't realized that she had caught on to the meaning of what an accident was. She had been saying "what" so often that she would just blurt it out without thinking, but this time she caught herself and changed direction. Then she told me "I try harder next time... OKAY?".
.
She understands a lot more than I give her credit for and it just reminds me I need to be really watchful of the things that I say and do because it is all coming across to her, the good and the bad alike.
3 comments:
so so true well what a good little girl you are a great example, can't say I am that great:) you are patient too:) that was fun on wed thanks for coming
Awwww, what a sweet thing!
I was greeted in our hick walmart the other day in the garden center, I had a question and the worker comes over and says "WHAT?" to me, I could not believe it! Where has customer service gone?
Jared's response to everything is "cause I just do!" It is so annoying when I am asking him to do something or not to do something.
Arrg!
Post a Comment