Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Kirby Park

We found a really super park a couple of weeks ago and we have been loving hitting it up.  It has flush toilets, which are a total plus.  Unidad Park only has port-o-potties and those things gross me out more than anything.  I mean, think about it.... port-o-potties in 90 degree plus weather is like walking into a poop steam room.  SO GROSS.  If the girls have to go potty when we are at Unidad Park I take them behind a tree to go, those bathrooms are that bad.

 Now that you are all throwing up a little, lets get back to Kirby Park.  It is enormous and the sand area has a covering to it so the kids can play in the shade.  They have a lot of fun playing here.
 One downside is there is NO SHADE besides the sand pit.  So you have to go early in the day or in the evening if you don't want to get roasted out.  We are back in the high 90's to 100's around these parts and it is one H-O-T mutha out there.  Like every time you need to get into your car you want to die because it is like climbing into an oven.  I put the girls wet swimsuits on our dash for a sec while I was getting the girls buckled in and those suckers started STEAMING.  I.  KID.  YOU.  NOT.

I really miss my walks with the girls since we got here.  I would go on walks once or twice a day around Ord when we were in Cali.  It was such a great workout and change of pace, I loved it.  You don't walk here unless you have a death wish.
The park has this enormous open air shelter that has 6 full basket ball courts under it.  Every time I see the courts it really makes me miss playing.  But we didn't bring our basketball so I am out of luck for while we are here.  The big A frame building does provide shade around the edges of the park so I can sit and watch the girls play in the shaded sandpit while I am in the shade as well.   We drink water almost continually while we are out and if it is too hot then our park trips stay real short with Sonic slushees after for a cool down.

Going to Utah after this will be like a breath of fresh air, heat wise.  Never thought I would feel that way, but I guess being in Texas changes your perspective about what is HOT.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That's a really cool park. My word, I can't believe how hot it is there!

Anonymous said...

What a fun park! I agree, your perspective changes once you've lived in the south. I miss the dry heat.