Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Flip Side

 Yesterday was a rough day.  The girls were feeling whiney and extra emotional and everything I said or did was the wrong thing.  I really struggled and was really hard on myself.  Last night I was the presenter at a Relief Society night, and the theme was a PJ'S Party (Prayer, Journal and Scripture's... get it PJ'S?).  

After a disastrous morning I got the girls down for their quiet time and rest time.  I then sat down to prepare my lesson for the Relief Society Activity.  As I read the scriptures and conference talks I wanted to share, I could feel all the stress and worries from my day just melt away.  My mind was put to an eternal perspective and I was able to see more clearly all the wonderful blessings we have in our life.

 When the kids woke up I felt calm and felt an extra measure of patience and love for them.  I was able to see the sweet desires of their little hearts, just some quiet time with Momma and once I was able to really fill that need our day went SO much better.

When I am feeling frustrated or down it seems like the LAST thing I want to do is pray and read my scriptures, when really that is the most important thing I should do.  Even if it is only a verse or two, even if my prayer is just to tell my Heavenly Father how much I feel like I am failing.   Just taking a moment or two to do this helps me more or faster than anything else.  Taking that time for myself is so vital to me being the best Mom I can be, the best Vashti I can be.  The simplest answers are usually the best answers and just what we need.
Today has been a 180 degree turn around from yesterday.  We are at home today without the car which is normally a REALLY long feeling day for us.  Plus I woke up with a headache, but taking time for myself really helped the feel in our home.  Greater feelings of love and kindness to each other.

The girls are "camping" right now in the living room.  Roasting marshmallows, hot dogs and sausages. We are going to paint nails in a little bit and before the camping the girls had a dance party in the living room.

4 comments:

Teri Johnson said...

That is so true, when we are frustrated or agitated we are in greater need of the peace Heavenly Father provide us. Yet those same frustrations cause it to be more difficult to seek peace in our scriptures, prayer and personnal reflection. I am so happy you were able to turn your day around and remembered to turn to the Lord. I am glad my grandbabies have you as their mom. Love You!!

Anonymous said...

Very true. I have a testimony of that as well. Way to go!!

Michelleeeeee said...

Today Tanner and I were talking about things and one of my "faults" came up... caffeine. He asked me if I knew it was bad to have caffeine? I of course told him that I knew that it was bad but some days (especially days like today) it just really helped me stay awake and have energy. His response?
"Michelle, you should pray about it tonight. Tell Heavenly Father what you told me - that it helps you stay awake. He will help you."
AHHHH. Why can I not just be as smart as a 4 year old?
<3 you Vashti.

Unknown said...

Amen honey!