Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Lunch Time

Hello Cream of Broccoli Soup!

I LOVE to eat soup, I really crave it around this time of year. I had a lot of broccoli in my fridge and decided to make my own Cream of Broccoli soup for the first time. It was perfect because Olivia was distracted with Sesame Street and Bianca was asleep in her swing, PLUS it was surprisingly easy!
I got the recipe from here and I only had milk so I used that instead. Plus I added like double the broccoli. It was a little bit runny for my taste (blended it with my trusty immersion blender) so I added two tablespoons of my potato pearls and it thickened it just right! Gotta love my food storage for the potato pearls ;) So Yummy!
Olivia loved it too. I had never given her soup before (soup + toddler = mess) but I just cracked some saltines into her bowl and the thickened the soup to like a porridge consistency and she gobbled it up! The crackers were my mom's brainy idea. After bragging to her about my mad soup skills, and my dismay for Olivia not being able to eat it, she told me that she feeds Olivia soup all the time with the cracker trick--why didn't I think of that?
I have to say it felt really good to make a soup from scratch. I always remember my Mom making such delicious home-made goodness for us to eat as kids, and all her yummy soups when the weather turned cold. It was a full circle moment for me to make it to my little girl! If only I had the same enthusiasm to tackle the laundry pile...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Mmm, I like it really thick too... what a great idea!

kaitlyn said...

what are you???? some kind of blogging maniac?!?!?!

Lydia said...

I love soups this time of year too!

ahhhh, the laundry pile...