Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Who knew freezing could change you life?




So for 12 crazy, insane hours on Sat Kaitlyn and I cooked our brains out and made 30 meals....EACH! We were inspired to attempt this crazy feat after attending Kaitlyn's enrichment activity which was a lecture on making meals ahead and freezing them.
~Kaitlyn is my hero! I felt like I was hit by a truck once we were finished and played hookie from church the next day, I can't imagine how I would have felt if I was 9 months pregnant!(Kaitlyn was more faithful than I and went to church...the full block even!)~
I thought I wouldn't want to see any of these dishes for a week, at least, after being so "cooked out". When Monday rolled around and I was trying to think of what to make for dinner, I caved and pulled out one of my meals. They were the most scrumptious turkey burgers ever, not to mention totally healthy. So I thought maybe I wouldn't need a break before eating some more and last night was Penne pasta with a cheesy broccoli sauce~I was licking my plate~. For tonight I have already pulled out Florentine shells to bake for dinner. Because everything is premade it took me at the most 20 minutes to get a "from scratch" dinner on the table.
I am not exaggerating when I say after only a few days, freezing has changed my life. Not having to stress over what is for dinner, knowing 90% of the work is already done for me makes my days SO MUCH BETTER! I'm not even close to having eaten all my meals and I'm already planning in my head for the next cook-a-thon! I'm very glad I attempted this with a friend, it would have been very daunting to go solo. Anytime I make a lasagna or manicotti in the future, I am definitely making a couple extra and throwing them in the freezer.

13 comments:

Suzanne said...

wow, you guys are ambitious! that would be perfect to do right before you have your baby... then you won't have to worry about cooking, or spending tons on take-out! good for you guys!

The Tulett Family said...

That is such a good idea! I totally need to do that!

Jenn @ Cuddles and Cameras said...

That's awesome Vashti! Great idea that I should do, but I'm pretty sure I won't... Hubby absolutely hates anything from the freezer... picky picky picky...bleah... :P

Sarah said...

That really is such a good idea! I was wondering how you were storing all of them, but now I see, thanks to the pictures. :)

kaitlyn said...

all i have to say is that my cell phone, trevor's truck, my purse and i am pretty sure my nostrils STILL SMELL!!!!! ahhhhh.... i can't get away. i seriously don't know what i am going to do about my cell phone though, it isn't like i can soak it in water.

this was amazing... and i have to say i am kind of ticked you beat me to the punch on a blog post.... maybe i will take a picture of my freezer. except yours looks so much prettier!

Vashti said...

They honestly don't taste like they were frozen, it was like I had baked them from scratch right then!

Kristina P. said...

You guys are insane! But it looks like a great idea!

Peter and Lesha said...

You are both totally in trouble for not inviting me!!

Musicmom-Amy said...

Okay, so can I be nosey & ask how much it cost? I've done Dream Dinners before and really LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the concept. And their food was great. They've just increased the $$ and it just wasn't worth it. I also have done some on my own as well. SO, I think we need to turn this into a BIG assembly line. More hands make light work ;D

Vashti said...

It cost us about 200 (each) for all the groceries, so about 6 a meal (that feeds 5-7 people depending). But I won't really need to buy groceries except for fresh stuff until my meals run out. If you can find one other friend that you feel comfortable with that works great, I think if you have more than two people working on it there won't be enough room in the kitchen plus more people means greater chance that you screw up a recipe (we almost messed up recipes with only two people pumping it out). I don't know that's what I think after having done it once.

Alicia said...

Wow that is so awesome! I love the idea but I'm clueless. I'll have to check out this book! You guys are so rad for working so hard and it looks like it paid off!

Kneeland Family said...

TAG! You're IT! Check out my blog to play the game. (if ya feel like it :D)

JoeKatie said...

Wow! That is so awesome. My friend Kristal,my first Utah friend, who is not really from Utah, who moved away, north to Clinton, Utah. Her ward does a meal exchange every month. What they do is everyone brings 10 of the same frozen meal, each person brings a different meal, and then they all swap them and you go home with 10 different meals already ready to eat, and then you just pull them out of the freezer over the course of the month and you have something yummy to eat. A lot of the people also included the recipe with it.
I wish my ward would do something like that but we have issues even talking to others. Everyone in our ward isn't very social and figures since we all live in apartments, why get involved and make friends when people are moving all the time.
Maybe you could start a meal exchange up there with your ward or friends.