Monday, March 9, 2009

Holy Cow!


So we went out of town over the weekend and got back just in the nick of time. Blue Bell (my parents cow) had her calf last week and we figured Violet wouldn't be that far behind her (Violet is also my parents but takes up residence at Chez Radder). We just pulled in the driveway and Marcus goes to feed them some hay, well he noticed some little hooves sticking out of an unusual spot! Without even unloading the car, we called my parents over and within an hour we had a cute little girl. It is Violets first time at this whole motherhood thing~so we were a little nervous how she would do (plus it was so freakin cold outside). As of today both are doing great, and they are figuring out how everything works. We will keep the little gaffer and after time she will be poppin out little babies of her own!


We love Violet, she is such a mild mannered and gentle creature. Her companion, the littlest bull that ever lived, is quite another story. He has got to be the most obnoxious, cry baby thing that ever roamed God's green earth. He moo's all the time, at everything for every reason. It's so annoying, he's worse than having a dog barking all day. He moo's when somebody pulls in, moo's when I feed him, moo's when he sees me around the house, moo's when it rains or is too cold or too hot..... I think you get the picture. It gets VERY old listening to that ALL DAY LONG. If I didn't know that he was indeed a boy and had all of his pieces intact, I would assume he was just some sissy girl. Now that Violet has somebody to keep her company, we may be setting up another appointment with the butcher. Whether this bothers someone to hear this or not, I will definitely enjoy eating meat from that bovine specimen!




Speaking of things to eat.....
Please meat the newest addition to the Radder household, a whole ton of fabulous pork. So far we have only tried the chops and I really liked them. I think we need to have a dinner this week featuring some of this yummy, healthy food supply.


It's really nice to see all of that meat in the freezer, especially with the impending birth of our second child. It's nice to know we have some food stockpiled up!

8 comments:

The Wilson Pratt Wilson Family said...

Vashti, I so admire your guys' "preparedness" when it comes to food storage and frozen food and meat! I am still in awe over your adventure of freezing thirty meals and I am really considering doing it too. It must be nice to know that you have all of that meat stored away. Jason is going fishing this summer in Alaska and is hopefully bringing back a lot of fish...but let's be honest...I'd be more inclined to eat that much pork than fish. =)

Unknown said...

I love having meat from fresh stock, it's the best :)

This post reminds me of Kevin... he had to raise the calfs at his dairy growing up-- which is a big responsibility! Maybe that's why he's such a good dad, because cows sound obnoxious :)

Peter and Lesha said...

that is great good for you guys that must feel so good to be set forever with the meat and your frozen food that is so awesome.

Kristina P. said...

You were not joking about freezing meat!!

Sarah said...

Whoa! That's a lot of meat! You guys must have an extra freezer . . .

kaitlyn said...

blaine will be sad when that bull dies. it is the highlight of our pulling into your driveway. oh well... i too am excited to eat his hind!

Tanya Bennett said...

Congrats - we have had three of our own down here the last week. Chase loves to go see how the calves are growing -yes -ours end up in the freezer too :)

Alicia said...

That baby cow is fantastic! Great pictures and great story. I'm with you, I'd eat that bull. He sounds annoying and would be fufilling a higher purpose by being food. Great food storage too. You'll need that this next year as you expect your 2nd.