
I waitressed for quite a long time (like 7 years... wow that made me feel old). It was always really interesting the conversations I would get in with my customers. My name is pretty different, so a lot of talk circled around that one. Another huge conversation point would be my heritage. I got a lot of questions if I was Jewish...... or Russian....... Or a Jewish Russian.
Also if not daily than at least half a dozen times a week (in all seriousness, more like daily) people would ask this EXACT question:
"Has anyone ever told you that you look like Barbara Streisand??"
To which I would exclaim in delight "Oh really?!? I just love her! What a wonderful compliment!". I was always working for that tip ;) When really it's kind of a weird compliment (don't get me wrong, I love the Babinator) because it's kind of like saying:
"Has anyone ever told you that you have some pretty crazy curly hair and a big nose??"
Then those questions were almost always followed up by:
"Can you sing like her too?? Wouldn't that just be the coolest if you sang like her AND looked like her?!?!"
To which I would sadly declare that I have zero singing capability and "gosh golly gee!! Too bad I can't sing, maybe I wouldn't have to be a waitress if I did" (insert wink and cute as a button smile---did I mention I made REALLY good tips?).
I love this picture of classic younger Barbara. I actually got this exact haircut when I was 13, but I couldn't quite pull it off like she could so my hair always ended up in a bun that year until it grew out.
In all honesty I love that I resemble her to some degree. I really love her and think she is fabulous in every way with a capital F. But I really love that I look different and unique. I love my nose (I really do!). I love my curly hair, even though now it is a little less crazy. I love my freckles and my dimples (wherever they may be). I'm not sure if I could say that I LOVE my bum and thighs, but I have a healthy dose of respect for them. The only thing that I would change is the fact that I have to wear glasses (they always get in the way, and get ripped off my face by the chillins) but maybe someday I can have the corrective eye surgery.
So here is to all of us who are all fabulously unique and different. It's being so different from one another that makes life so much fun!
10 comments:
Right on, Babs! :)
I remember that. funny. you do kind of look like her though I have to say:) could be worse right.
I love this post! Was it inspired by facebook's Doppleganger Week? haha. Barbara Streisand really is fabulous. And I love that you got that exact haircut. I wish I could pull that off! Also, your potty training advice was much appreciated!
Totally inspired by Doppleganger week! There have been some pretty afro fabulous times in my life ;)
You know I loves me some Babs :)
People have told me I look like Jodi Foster... I was like, "Freaky Friday" Jodi Foster? Please say no!
I think you are way prettier than that picture. WAY. I have never thought you had a big nose. People used to tell me I looked like Monica Lewinsky. This is when I died my hair black and wore lots of makeup. I hated it. And I wasn't nice about it. I would just say, "No I don't."
Here's to a beautiful Vashti!
Barbara is a good compliment. Frank from Izzys gets told he looks like Gilbert Gottfried.
Jayme NO WAY! I can't believe I worked for him for all those years and never saw that. Now that you mention it he DOES! That gave me a good chuckle, he he he ;)
I love this!
That's hilarious! I never would have put the two of you together, but I can totally see it.
Post a Comment