This morning was rough. Probably the roughest it's been in a while. You know how it's five minutes til your hubby gets home and the kids are fit to be tied and you are going crazy and you can't wait for the relief of extra support?? That's how I felt at 8:16 AM.
.
Olivia was being contrary to everything and crazily did/didn't/did/didn't want to eat her breakfast (she is the most robust eater I have ever seen, on any other day of the week). Jonas (who is a pickier eater anyway) followed Olivia's lead and then I had two toddlers who I KNEW were hungry, but were boycotting breakfast. Shenanigans were abounding up to this point and I thought "there is no way I am going to make it through today". I could just see in Olivia's eyes that she was bound and determined to give me a run for my money today.
.
I knew in my bones that I could not get through this on my own. Then it occurred to me that I didn't have to. I knew I needed to pray. As soon as I decided to do that I felt myself calm down. I finished cleaning up all the not-eating of breakfast that occurred and while the kids were playing I locked myself in the bathroom and said a prayer. I always start my prayers with what I am thankful for and as I listed all the things that I have been blessed with I felt an overwhelming sense of gratitude for all that my Heavenly Father has given me with. I prayed to feel my Heavenly Father's love, for patience with my children, to be inspired how to be the best Mom to them today. As I asked for these simple things I felt a calm wave of warmth, peace and love. I wasn't alone this morning. I am never alone if I can remember to just turn to my Heavenly Father with faith that he can help me.
.
Feeling centered I started to brush Olivia's teeth and when we were done she reached up to me and gave my a hug. She held me tight and rested her head against my shoulder and I rocked us for a minute. She looked up at me and smiled, hugged me some more and then jumped down to play. Have the toddler shenanigans stopped?? Not even close (if it is possible for them to get worse, they are), but my ability to handle them has increased ten fold. I am calm. I am not alone. Sometimes I forget how simple the answers can be, if I just remember to turn to my Heavenly Father for help.
7 comments:
That was so touching. Really. I have had a few of those moments. I think that the kiddos are waiting to see how you react. It's like they want trouble. But when you don't give it to them and you are calm, I think they forget they wanted trouble...or Heavenly Father helps them and us cope together through the ups and downs of mommyhood. Well done!
Loved this post Vashti. So true :)
Beautiful post Vashti!
you got it right today!
so so so know how you feel about those last few mins of the day before Peter gets home I think we are even waiting at the door most times:)
beautiful. and inspiring!
Thanks Vashti, something we always need to be reminded of.
Post a Comment