Friday, September 3, 2010

Potrie Family Reunion

The family reunion rocked. They are always pretty awesome, but this one was the best that I can remember in a long while. Now that us older set of cousins are starting families of our own it is getting to be so much fun to hang out and swap poop/nursing/toddler/baby/newlwedness stories.
.
My girls got about spoiled rotten by all the love, hugs and kisses they were showered with! Jackeileen, Angelina, Cassie, Clifton and Miranda especially spoiled them. They were so sweet with them, it was so fun to watch.
I didn't take very many pictures, but luckily my preggers cousin Jenika emailed me the ones that she took. LOVE HER, such a doll!

Cousin Melissa did a cute little braid in Olivia's hair. She felt so special!
Where we stayed. My parents were living the high life in the trailer. I was in the Crappy McCraperson cabin right behind them.
.
It was a douzy having the little girls there, so much gear and shenanigans to deal with. Luckily my parents (and all the family) were great at helping ease my load with the babies. I was definitely tired at the end of each day, but nothing compared to how exhausted I could have been.
.
Family Auction WIN!!
.
As soon as I saw it, I knew I had to have it. For my little girls that is. A SNAKE QUILT! Made by my lovely and talented Auntie Laura. The heads are all loosey goosey and all the eyes are different. If you look closely you can see the background fabric is ladybugs! It it perfect for a toddler sized bed.
.
I wish I would have taken a picture of all the loot at the auction, but I was always forgetting! Let me assure it was amazing and there were so many treasures to be had. But I knew this quilt was mine. I bid first and frequently and drove away all my competition! Olivia about died when I gave it to her.
Here it is in all of it's snake glory! I am seriously in love with this blanket. Seriously.
I am not one of those people that wake up and look amazing. I look like I have been hit by a truck, kinda like that bus driver guy from the Simpson's. Add in the fact that we were camping and the facilities were kinda run down, I did NOT look pretty. (By facilities being run down, I really mean that I felt like I needed a shower AFTER my shower.... ewww.) Jenika and Melissa always looked so beautiful, fresh and clean. JUST NATURALLY. Like we would all line up for breakfast and their hair looked so great and I just looked like a Sasquatch. Um, pretty jealous.
Melissa doing up Olivia's hair!
Auntie Laura is so fabulous (AKA quilt maker extraordinaire!). The hike gave us an awesome chance to get caught up.
.
We went on two family hikes. So much fun and a great time to get to talk to people one on one. I must have told they "why we are in the Army" story about a kerbillioin times. I didn't even mind because I knew that everyone that asked about it truly loved us and wanted to get caught up in all the happenings of our life. I felt so much love and support there. I'm not meaning about our new life direction. They just love you. Support you. Period. It was fabulous!
Stian created that rockamathingy. We all tried to get together for a group shot.
Jenika rocking that baby bump! Another one of those naturally wake up and look fabulous types. Sigh.
Camp Hurlburt was right on Lake Okanagan. It was too cold for me to venture into the water. I think I had on a dozen layers at all times.
Tons of games were played. Settlers of Catan, Holla!
So many bright and sunny faces. Auntie Rosalie!! Auntie Deb!!
There were various stops on the way to the reunion. Konks was not a fan of being caged in her carseat. AT ALL. Thank goodness for portable DVD players.
Do you think we had enough stuff packed into the vehicle?
Our little shanty that we slept in.
It got real cold at night so Olivia slept in about 6 layers of blankets.
My cautious girl even got on the zip line. ALL. BY. HERSELF. She loved it! The cousins talked her into doing it and then called me over to watch. It was such a huge step for her, I was so proud!
.
I missed the Family Council because I was trying to get Olivia down for a nap, but they filled me in later. Guess what they served during the council? BROWNIE ICE CREAM SUNDAES! Told you the reunion rocked. All my family council dreams came true. There was plenty left for me to put myself into a sugar induced coma. Needless to say the digits were a little higher on my weigh scale this morning. Who knew that eating a full meal every two hours would increase your weight?
.
Another highlight was the Talent Show on Friday night. The Auntie Laura and Uncle Dan family made a video called "The Potrie Report", kinda like "This Hour has 22 Minutes" style. Parodying various family members. We all laughed until we cried. They auctioned off some of the DVD's and Mom got a copy. It was seriously one of the most hilarious things I have ever watched!
.
Glad to be home again, but SO GLAD WE WENT!

3 comments:

mir said...

It was so great to see you and your girls at the reunion. I submit that having brownies and ice cream become a tradition for family council! Oh and the granola rocking my socks so far my favorite is the cranberry macadamia nut but I've only tried a couple as I want to save them for school. I'm at grandpa's and I saw the cute note on the side of the fridge I'll make sure to point it out to him. How was the spider fighting I heard it was pretty nasty. They want me to take the mattress to the second hand store but in your opinion how bad was it? Cause I'm really considering just taking it to the dump because of the spiders. Yuck. Hope you restocked your fridge and that the ramen diet is over.

Vashti said...

Take it to the dump. It was pretty nasty. For sure dump it! I was so pumped that you got some of the granola, it makes me happy to think of it helping to fuel your studies ;)
Ramen diet is still on, but I plan on restocking tonight! The girls had canned black beans and canned pears for lunch.

mir said...

Roger that. The dump it will be just don't tell grandpa. I was also really excited to buy the granola. I had secretly read about it on here before going and knew that I wanted it. It's so hard to find good granola in the stores.
Still ramen? O dear, well I'm living proof that you can survive off of it for a few days till you make it to the grocery store. I like it with veggies and hot sauce to mix things up a bit.