Sunday, July 11, 2010

Surrounded

There are times in life when we feel surrounded. When negative feelings are swirling around you. The bills seem to be magically appearing while the money in the bank account depletes exponentially faster. The kids can't ever seem to be happy. You can't clean fast enough, cook fast enough, no matter how hard you try. Everywhere you turn you feel fenced in.
You know there is blue sky and the sun is shining, but you just can't seem to find it. You are just... surrounded.
You have family and you know that they love you. But sometimes, well maybe a lot of times, it is easy to take that for granted. I know my family would do anything and everything for me. With all this change in the midst of my life right now I have continued to be amazed by our family. Teri and Darrol (Marcus' parents) had a BBQ get together where everyone could get together to say good bye to my husband. They reserved a building at Berthusen and we hung out all afternoon and ate until we couldn't eat no more.
I was blown away. Blown away with all the family that came, from both sides (Radder's and Erickson's). They decked out everything in true army fashion and the feeling was so celebratory.
There have been some negative feelings about this road that we are embarking on, which is totally understandable, it is a HUGE decision. I was mentally prepared for that when we decided to take this course of action. What I was not prepared for was the outpouring of support.


The phone calls checking in to see how we are doing, the invitations to come to dinner, the heartfelt notes. The offering of free babysitting so we could go on a date, clean our house or just be alone together. The helping hands that whipped our yard into tip top shape and detail cleaning of our house in readiness for any potential viewers to drop by.


The gentle hugs with soft spoken words of support, voices telling me they are only a phone call away. The emails from those near and far offering support and help. The big giant bear hugs that feel like they are going to squeeze the life out of me. The smiles... when words just don't seem enough, but in those smiles I am warmed to the core. I have never felt so much love and support. I have never felt so enveloped by the selfless sacrifice of so many. How can anyone deserve this? I am surrounded, and I have never felt more safe. You will never know how you are touching our lives.




When blended families congregate there are copious amounts of pictures. After a while everyone starts to get a little slap happy.



Marcus said they were calendar men... Mr. April and Mr. March.


While Grandpa Richard was taking this photograph he told Marcus and Darrol to think of Megan Fox. To which Marcus replied "Who is Megan Fox?".... to which I then said "Good Answer".


Bianca charmed everyone and just about ate her weight in blueberries. It made for pretty interesting diapers changes this morning. Her little bum is stained blue.



I have been starting to get a little more emotional about it all. We are down to the last week of Daddy in the house. I know everything is going to be okay, that the girls and I will be okay, but I still have my little sad moments. They tend to hit me when I least expect it, but I will not let myself wallow. Even with a temporary separation upon us I really feel like this is a happy and exciting time in our lives. After debating for a while about a career change it is so exhilarating to know the path that you are supposed to be on. To have a plan mapped out.
I allow myself to feel to sadness when it creeps in, but when that moment is over I pick myself up, hug and kiss my family and try to come up with a fun adventure we can go on together. Whether it be to the park, Edaleen dairy, reading some books or playing tag. We are going to live it up this week, enjoy every moment, so we can hold on to it. Then when I do feel sad again I can look back here and read about it all. Remind myself of all the people who love me and who are there for me.
How truly blessed we are to have the friends and family that we do. You are impacting our lives in ways that you can never imagine and we will be forever grateful.






7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awe, Vashti this post made me cry. You are so strong and you guys will both do great during his deployments. Make the most out of this week as you can! (as you know). I wish I were closer to help you out as well.

Anonymous said...

This was such a good post. I have so many cousins and good friends who understand what you guys are going through. I know you guys can do this! Come visit us in Kennewick, anytime! Our prayers are with you guys!

Musicmom-Amy said...

Hooah!!! It's a difficult road for both of you. One that you BOTH will get through. You know you can come get a hug from me ANYTIME!!!! :D

Sarah said...

I'm glad you guys have such a wonderful support group for this tough time. I admire your strength and optimism. I hope this week is everything you hope for.

PS That cake was amazing!

Peter and Lesha said...

I can't imagine what you are going through I can't wait to see Peter walk through the door at 6pm (sometimes later) and I throw (gently) the kids at him and off I go, I really want you to know you are welcome here anytime and your kids are always welcome if you need a break. Plan on plenty of girl nights. you will be stronger after this is all over and will be able to do anything.

Unknown said...

You know, I grew up in an area with a LOT of military wives. They are so stoic that sometimes it's easy to forget what a BIG DEAL it is to be without dad/hubs for so long until you see it from another perspective. It is a big stinking deal. I can't imagine it! However, I also know that if this is the answer you've gotten, then it's absolutely right for family. I'm sure you will both find blessings in the least expected ways & places.

Seriously, I'm like 3.5 mins from Edaleen, you should stop by ANY TIME you want a break! :) Or free ice cream :)

Andrea said...

this post was tear jerking. I'm so glad that you have so much support and I know that you will be blessed by your many guardian angels. Family is the best, especially when they are so full of support.
You need a sign that says, "I'm a strong ARMY wife!"