Friday, July 16, 2010

one eight hundred

Today was a getting down to business day. Run all the errands, make all the phone calls, sign the power of attorney documents, the real nitty gritty. I'm a procrastinator, big time.
.
Probably the most frustrating, poke your eyeballs out stuff is calling all those dang 1-800 numbers. There was a lot of switcheroo-ing. You know, make sure my name is on the accounts, sign up for the civil service act that lowers my interest rate and (GASP) cancelling my direct TV. It was a hoopdi for sure. Especially the cancelling the TV part. First called Verizon to get everything set up only to find (after 15 min) that I had to call direct TV first to officially cancel THEN called Verizon back only to have to RE explain everything to a younger, newer, not as bright representative.
.
It was frustrating. Then I kept getting more frustrated that I only had Marcus for one more day and here I was frustrated, which only amped up the frustration level... see the vicious cycle? Plus I have found with the stress creeping in, that I take my emotions out in the most random non-direct ways. Like not being able to find the diaper rash cream--why isn't it every where it is supposed to be? -- why is this nothing ever where I put it? -- dissolve into tears. Or when the toilet paper roll ran out... random misdirected emotional seepage.
.
So I was pretty taken aback when after another ridiculous round of "lets see how long we can keep you on hold for before your ear turns numb", my customer service representative said this to me:
"Oh and also Ma'am, on a more personal note, I just want to tell you how grateful I am for the sacrifice that your family will be making. I really appreciate it... from one American to another. I hope everything runs smoothly for you in your husbands absence. You will be in our prayers."
.
I was floored. It was exactly what I needed to turn my frown upside down. That and a nice big ice cream cone from Edaleen Dairy. The words we say matter. They can be such a force for good. Her one kind comment of support meant the world to this frazzled lady.

5 comments:

kaitlyn said...

Heavenly Father is really watching out for us with angels that help us from the weirdest places in the most random moments.

Musicmom-Amy said...

Hugs Sweetie!!!

Peter and Lesha said...

that was sooo sweet good for her try calling the irs next time and you will experience frustration times twenty:)

anna b. said...

if there was a Like button, i would click on it.

beautifully written.

Sarah said...

That's awesome. I know I am guilty of un-said compliments usually because I am either in a hurry or I think that it doesn't really matter. But it does.