Monday, March 1, 2010

Letter to My Jeans



Dear Jeans,
3 1/2 years ago I lost weight. 20 extra pounds of unhealthy weight that had made me feel bogged down and yucky. I felt so good in my skin, so healthy, so light. I saw you in an outlet mall and tried you on in a whim. YOU FIT! Almost too tight but I could button you up, I felt so wonderful that day. I hadn't seen myself in this size since high school. If I lost only 5 pounds more, you would fit me perfect. I wore your sassy little self five different times.
Then I got pregnant and the number on the weigh scale kept going higher and higher. You went into my closet on a hanger in your still new condition. At first you were in the middle of my closet, but slowly and surely you got moved back in the recesses until I almost forgot you were there. I had my baby and slowly, at a near glacial rate, the numbers on the scale started going down. I would pull you out every once in a while and pull you on only to discover you barely made it past my knees.
Then I got pregnant again. At the speed of light the scale was reaching all new highs. I had my second baby. Not as much weight came off the second time around. I felt gross, like a big enormous blob. I was eating crappy and I felt crappy. I wanted to be a happy Mom, not a pencil skinny Mom, but a healthy slimmer Mom. I decided I wanted to have energy to run around with my kids, not sit on the couch and watch them run around.
I bought some veggies, stocked my fridge with healthier yummy food. I joined a fitness bootcamp. I got sore from exercising and life would stress me out and I would want cheeseburgers, fries and ice cream. I wanted to quit. Many times. I had friends that supported me. The weigh scale went down, down, down.
On Saturday I put you on. I pulled you up past my knees and thighs. You even made it over (dare I say it?) my bottom. Then I buttoned you up. I BUTTONED YOU UP!!
For three and a half years you sat in my closet. A reminder of the healthier person I wanted to be. Now you are sitting in my dirty laundry pile. I have never been happier about having dirty laundry to do in my life. Dear Jeans... Welcome back.

9 comments:

Jayme said...

Love it, congrats Vashti you look amazing!

Jenn @ Cuddles and Cameras said...

Congrats Vashti! LOVE IT! Can't wait to do a post about my loooooong lost skinny jeans... :)

Jeff, Traci and Kaden said...

Thats awesome! I've already thrown out my pre-preggo (okay, pre-Jeff) jeans. But still have hopes to fit into the size again!

Megan Marie said...

haha, cute post! thanks for your comment on my bloggy. i feel sort of silly taking self-portraits, but i think face expressions and body language can say things that words don't. so it seems to be the best way to share my stories!

Peter and Lesha said...

javen't seen you in so long but want to see you call my back!!! that is great I have some clothes like that too and I am still waiting for them to fit. good for you.

Musicmom-Amy said...

HIGH FIVE!!! Congrats!!

Suzanne said...

LOVE the post! congrats... i know you've been working SO hard! good for you! :o)

April said...

Congratulations Vashti!!!
I can totally relate to everything you just said and can't wait to get my body back after this baby.
Way to go!
April

kaitlyn said...

SO EXCITED FOR YOU! well done vashti! you deserve it! you have worked hard for it and i can't wait to see them on you! congrats... now keep them on ;)