Since the summer time she has only had her binks for night time and nap time. We would make her relinquish it before she could get out of her crib. I should actually specify that it is not A bink, it is Bink(IES). Like FIVE of them. She was like a binky hoarder. Holder them in her hands was as comforting to her as sucking on them. It got that way because when she was little and woke up crying, I was sick of going in there and finding her binky in the blankets. So I just started tossing a couple extra in so she could always find one herself in the middle of the night if she needed it. In doing so I created a binky fanatic.
I'm all pro binky, up to a point and I think we reached that point. It really helped Olivia to be an easier sleeper and nap taker. I always just lay her down in the crib, she stays laying down and goes right to sleep. After she wakes up I would take all the confiscated binkies and put them up on the window sill. She had now learned about using chairs to get to higher up places and has been sneaking binkies out of the window sill. She would give them up when I caught her, but it started her asking for them during the day, which she never did, and throwing a fit when and not wanting to give them up in the morning.
I could see this leading down a road I did NOT want to go. Binkies weren't a big deal during the day before and I didn't want that to start happening.
So we told her last night that she was a big girl and binkies were for babies, that we were so proud of her and that her binkies were bye bye and we had to throw them away. At first she just looked at me and then on the way to her bed kept asking for "more binkies, Please?!?!" in her nicest voice ever. By the time we got to her crib she was whispering for them, she whispers please for something if she is really desperate. Then the tears started, it was heart breaking because it felt like I was watching that show intervention and that Olivia was the addict. She begged and pleaded and cried and cried and cried. We let her cry it out for a while and then I went in (after like 15-20 minutes) and sat by her bed and rubbed her head. I told her I was so proud of her, that she can do it and that she is a big girl now. She finally stayed laying down and told me she didn't need her head rubbed anymore and went to sleep.
It took about an hour total to get her calmed down. Once she was asleep she slept straight through, THANK GOODNESS!! Nap time is going to be REAL interesting!
3 comments:
MAAAAA KINKIES!
where is that picture from the road trip of her with like two binkies in her mouth and a few in her hands. that must be added.
stick to it and you will be glad you did. good luck with nap. just think tonight is boot camp and maybe i will sneak out for some yogu san tonight. ;)
awww... way to stick your guns mom!It's always sad for me when milestones like these come. (I guess you could call it a milestone?) :( They grow up too darn fast.
come get rid of carson's too :) we need to just do it let me know how it goes.
Post a Comment