Friday, August 1, 2008

NOT a Cuddler



So for quite a while now Olivia was been miss independent. This picture is a perfect example. When she started getting big enough for me to hold her on my side like this she would wrap her arm around me, kinda a half hug, for like only a week. Then she switched to this where she is twisted as far away from me as possible. If I ever put her arm behind my arm, she just twists her body back. If I'm holding her for any prolonged time it totally reefs out my arm/wrist because ALL of her body weight is facing forward. She will literally be leaning out in front of me and she LOVES IT THIS WAY. When I pick her up from her nap the second I've got her she is pushing away as far as she can go and straining to see what's new in the world. She does this EVERY TIME I pick her up. Every once in a while she will rest her forehead on my chest for like a second and just when I think she might be wanting to cuddle she pulls away and starts squirming. Don't get me wrong, I know she loves me, her face lights up when she sees me and she laughs with me and smiles at me, just NO CUDDLING.

I know that this is probably a phase and she will grow out of it. It's kind of like I change all these diapers, wipe up the puke, scrub out the clothes, wash up the nasties and the cuddling is part of what makes it all worth it, ya know?? All those precious times, NOT pushing away from you and squirming like you have the plague. If she ever falls asleep while I'm nursing her and she happens stays alseep when I sit her up or prop her against me, I will just stay really still for as long as I can. Those are the only times when she will cuddle into me, when she is half dead asleep and doesn't know me from Eve. Of course she will never just fall asleep in my arms while watching TV or anything like that (which makes church a disaster, she just wants to sleep in her crib). There are a lot of other things that make parenthood worth it, don't get me wrong, I am just YEARNING for the days when she wants to cuddle me! My secret fear is that maybe she won't ever be a cuddler, but I refuse to entertain that idea for too long ;)

6 comments:

kaitlyn said...

Are you a cuddler? I know I am not, so the fact that Blaine doesn't want to cuddle me that much I totally understand. (Try and see it from her point of you, i mean she is around you ALL THE TIME, so she probably just wants you to leave her alone once in awhile) jk. She will when she understands what you are trying to do....


DO YOU HAVE THE BOOK YET?????? HAVE YOU READ IT? Have fun at the tractor show.

Musicmom-Amy said...

Awwww, know the feeling. Some of mine were cuddlers, some weren't. But Olivia reminds me of how Robert was ~ wants to see the world and learn EVERYTHING!!! You'll get your cuddler. What means you and Marcus have to have more kidletts. :D

Suzanne said...

I totally feel your pain! Blake did the EXACT same thing!! I felt like I was reading about my life!! :o) He would NEVER cuddle with me, which made me want to cuddle with him even more! And that pushing away thing.... at least Olivia doesn't weigh 25 lbs! :o) ha ha It's just a phase though, he's gotten so much better, he'll sit on my lap now and read books, or ocassionally fall asleep on me (i definetly cherish those moments)! So hang in there, she'll come around!

Vashti said...

See the thing too is that I AM a cuddler, and I know that when Kaitlyn is holding Blaine she will at least hook her arm around her so it's at least some type of contact. Olivia will not do that, ever, ever. I make sure she has time to herself, playing in her excersaucer, etc. I know it probably is a phase, it's just feels good to vent about it. (and hear other people's point of view) ;)

Unknown said...

That's like Syd too... but she got to like it when she was a toddler... now I'm back to no cuddling (she is 8.5, so, I understand). But I'm not a cuddly person... I think Russ is my first that is REALLY lovey and I'm really enjoying it!

Jenni said...

My oldest is NOT a cuddler. He has not been since the day he was born!! It has ALWAYS been really frustrating. About a week ago he sat next to me close on the couch. I don't think that he realised what he was doing. I am trying to figure out how to trick him into that again. The next two will cuddle.