Monday, August 4, 2008

Hiking Extravaganza

So on Sunday for our last day with the boys we decided to end it with a bang. We went to Glacier and went on the Skyline Hike. We were pretty high up (above 2000 feet), as you can tell by the snow patches. They boys were such troopers, I found out after that it is like 7 miles round trip.
As you crest the hill you come out into this mountain meadow-it was the most beautiful thing that I have EVER SEEN. It literally took my breath away. I 'm not sure if that is Mt. Baker or some other mountain in the background, but we were up close and personal. I guess that smaller peak to the left of where we are standing is the very top of the hike. Marcus has been up there and on a clear day he says you can see to the San Juan's. We were a little too pooped to go any further though. I packed sandwiches and we had a picnic at the top which was really fun.
Online it said the end of July was the best time to hike it because all the wildflowers are in bloom, and it was gorgeous. The pictures don't even do it justice. I felt like heaven would look and feel like this place.
We don't have a hiking backpack, so we used the baby bjorn. Marcus was kinda hurting at the end of it. Olivia loved it, she didn't fuss once and even fell asleep fro the whole hike down. We would definitely need a hiking backpack before we attempted something like this again.

On a funny note when we were like 1/2 way up the boys decided they needed to go to the bathroom. Brayden had been complaining of having to go number two for like a half an hour. When we stopped for Hunter to go number one, Brayden was like "you guys don't understand, I HAVE TO GO". We had been telling him that he would just have to hold it, when he said this I got a flash back from breakfast. All the boys poured their own cereal and I saw Brayden's after he already had the milk poured, so too late to make him take a smaller portion. He had poured a enormous bowl of Fiber One (which was the equivalent to 300% your daily fiber intake). When I remembered this I turned to Marcus and told him about it, we decided there was no stopping this storm. Marcus went over outside bathroom etiquette and luckily I had packed extra napkins and a ziploc baggie (we were not about to be polluters!). We could not stop laughing it was too hilarious, Brayden was off behind some trees for quite a long time. Hunter took considerably shorter doing his business. When he came out from behind the tree he was like " Wow guys, I feel so much better, I REALLY had to go", right at the same time some hikers were coming down the trail. They start cracking up, and I notice Hunter's fly is down so discreetly I'm like "Hunter... your zipper", not ashamed at all with the other hikers in the vicinity he's like "oh, xyz do you know what that means, EXAMINATION YOU ZIPPER!". Now the other hikers are dying laughing and I'm torn between mortification and giggle fit. Now if it isn't any worse Brayden comes back with his baggie and Hunter says sincerely "Brayden do you feel better too, I bet you do". It was too much, Marcus and I lost it for quite a few minutes.

It was a very fun, and very exhausting day. It's nice for us to get out and take advantage of all the fun things our area has to offer!
PS click on the pictures to get a better look at the mountain

3 comments:

kaitlyn said...

WOW!!!! So gorgeous, I need to go there asap!!!!

btw nice tank top, hoochie mama


I am totally excited to cream you tonight at catan, YIPEE!!!

Peter and Lesha said...

fun, your great hosts and I am sure they loved hanging out with marcus!

Musicmom-Amy said...

Baaahhhaaaa!! What a riot! Such a funny story that he will NEVER live down.

Beautiful pictures!