Monday, April 30, 2012

Living it up at the pool!

 It is hotter than Hades around these parts.  Last week we were over 100, averaging between 104-106.  It was crazy!  Luckily we have a pool open at our complex and when I take the girls during the weekdays we are always the only ones there.  Plus our rent includes our electricity so I have been whooping it up with the AC.  (Seriously I don't know how people live in this climate without AC.  Like I know people do it, but I just can't wrap my brain around it.)
 I normally run at least three days a week as my workouts, plus in CA I was always taking the girls out for walks in the double jogger to the park or just around the neighborhoods.  With all the hills I was able to stay in pretty good shape.  Running here?  Not so much.  Walking around?  No way.  There are no sidewalks and we don't have our stroller here and the kids about get heat stroke just walking to the pool.  There is a park we play at that has a lot of trees so it stays a little cooler, but just going for a walk isn't an option.

So I have had to get a little more creative with how I get my exercising in.  My solution?  Water aerobics! I looked up some exercises that I can do online and when we go to the pool I try to work out continuously the whole time we are there.  The girls float around beside me while I go through all my workouts and then I finish with swimming back and forth using a ball to support my upper body and just use my legs to kick.  It is KILLER on my whole legs and I do laps until my legs burn the entire length of the pool and they feel like jello.

The pool isn't heated so normally it feels so cold when I first get in and it takes me a bit to get into the water, but not last week.  It was so freaking hot that we all jumped right in and even with the really cold water I was still felt like I was roasting with all the hot air on my face.  The girls really love their floaties and they love "helping" me with my workouts.  It has been a great way to get in my workouts and not feel like I was dying of heat exhaustion.

Did I mention that it is only APRIL??  I can't imagine what it will be like when it is actually summer time.  Technically we are still enjoying the mild spring weather!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sounds fun. They opened the pool in our apartment complex but we're only up to the 70s with wind here. Too chilly for a swim!

Andrea said...

That pool looks so inviting!!
Gabe Jolly in our ward is leaving to go to the most southern part of Texas for his mission this month (obviously I can't remember the exact city or I would tell you). Super hot! I feel for him!
Glad you have a nice pool to use and free AC!

Peter and Lesha said...

water aerobics and nice pool to have fun it I am super jealous. but I might rethink it in jul when it is only 80 here and it's over 115 there. glad you get to work out though pool workout is my favorite.

Unknown said...

Awesome!