Thursday, April 19, 2012

Everything is Bigger in Texas

I am learning that everything is bigger in Texas.  Hospitality is bigger, smiles everywhere you go.  Everyone is so helpful and kind.  The Sun is bigger... at least that is how it feels.  It is 90 degrees this week and we are only in April.   The stores are bigger (HEB is now my most favorite grocery to shop in EVER.  So big, HUGE selection, tons of workers, great prices.  I love it!).  The insects are bigger, holy beetles batman!  Under any rock you can find jumbo sized black beetles.  And not to be outdone by the beetles, I must say that the spiders here are the biggest.  
 First day of taking the kids to the park we come across this sucker.  A TARANTULA.  Just waltzing about the playground like no big deal.  I about crapped my pants.  Talk about Texas welcoming us warmly!
 It kept rearing up like this to make itself bigger, probably as a defense tactic.  The kids were loving it.  I wanted to run home and take a shower.    When I tell this story in years to come I am going to say it also hissed.  Not entirely sure if this is accurate for tarantula behavior, but I swear that sucker hissed.
 It was our ward playgroup that we went to and the other two Mom's assured me that they had been here for 2 years and 3 years respectively and this was the first time they had seen one.  Well count my lucky stars!  I haven't even been here a week and we get the fire ants and the tarantulas.
Besides wanting to barf all over the place ( I have a terrible fear of spiders, and that is just regular ones, not jumbo meat eating ones.... just kidding about the meat eating part.  Well actually I don't know what they eat, so they could very well eat meat.  Note to self: research dietary needs of the Texas tarantula.).  I was also kinda in awe about it.  We are here for such a short time and it is not a normal thing for me to see things like this, so it was one of those "Wow, I really live in Texas" moments.

Then the little girl on orange declared that she was going to take the little big guy home in her satchel because her Grammy is WILD about spiders.  She picked it up and stored it in her bag.  I gave the Pappy a look to total shock to which he assured me that his wife did love spiders and they were in town visiting and it would make her day to play with the little fella.  Then I felt the bile starting to rise and my pulse race so I quietly separated myself from them until the left and took him home to Grammy.

I have been told in September there is the great Tarantula migration.  If you go out past the city in the night time and flash your lights into the fields, you can see a sea of tarantula doing their migration.  They give the guys on base a safety briefing about it when it hits that time of year.  PRAISE the heavens we will be long gone by then.  You would have to lock me away in a mental facility if I still lived here for that.  Seriously.

I also can't get enough of the southern accents.  Whenever we are in the store we just walk really slowly trying to overhear anything that we can.  If I miss a particularly magical discussion Marcus is sure to quietly repeat it back to me.  It is was easier to talk like them right after you have just heard it.  "I told Pappy if that y'all didn't hafta bring the steaks.  We was already grillin' and had enough for y'all."   It is seriously the coolest.  The gal at chick-fil-a couldn't believe I had never eaten at one before.  "I am SURE y'all have to have a chick-fil-AY over theYer.  Y'all have seriously neva eaten at a chick-fil-AY before?".    I love it!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love reading about your Texas adventures. Reminds me of when we first moved to the south. We lived in San Antonio for 8 months and never once saw a tarantula so I think you got pretty (un)lucky with that one. YUCK! I don't think we have tarantulas in South Carolina but I know that rattle snakes are aplenty around here. Haven't seen one of those either though.

And I also love the southern accent. Although our part of San Antonio was all from Mexico so it was a lot of spanish and strangers calling me "mama." And people are SOOO friendly down here. Made us decide to stay because of it.

And Chick Fil A. Mmmmm! I never ate at one before moving down here either and it's our FAVORITE place to eat. Kaden always wants it. They even hold special events like Daddy/Daughter date nights with limos and everything. At least here they do.

Anonymous said...

Oh and I HATED HEB. Probably because we lived in a really poor part of town though and so their produce was gross, it was dirty and the people make me nervous. But
it was the only grocery store. I couldn't wait to get more variety. I could imagine HEB being really nice though somewhere else.

Anonymous said...

Last comment, I PROMISE! So when will you guys be moving from there? Will you be there in the fall? Around late September there are SOOO many butterflies, it is ridiculous. Pretty magical at the same time to go on a walk and just have butterflies fly up all around you as you walk. And then in October, BIRDS! They migrate and there are SO many birds! They like to hang out on the powerlines so if you're outside of a store or something, you literally have to speak up so that you can talk over their chirping. I could look down the road and every square inch of the power lines would be filled with birds and more would be flying around. Pretty neat.

If you can make the trip to Austin, you NEED to try The Salt Lick. Best BBQ EVER! And try going to the Riverwalk in San Antonio...this is if you have time to travel and explore Texas.

Peter and Lesha said...

that is so gross! you are so much more calm than me I think I would have packed up and called it a day :) sounds like the pool is so fun though and having that warm weather I am sure feel nice. can't wait to catch up and chat

Southern Belle said...

If you will still be there in July there is a day at Chic Fil A where if you dress up like a cow you get a free meal. You will have to check what day online, but we have like five chic fil As here in athens so we get breakfast lunch and dinner and another meal to take home for the next day!

Ariane said...

Vashti, I had a tarantula as a pet when I was little. Yes, they do hiss. And I never ate at Chic-Fil-A until Maryland. Mark thought I was weird. It is a nice alternative to Burger King and McDonalds. Oh and Mark says don't drink the water. It's horrible. I'm so glad you're having fun. Miss you terribly, neighbor!