Friday, January 23, 2009

Sorry for the Gross Out!

So in my excitement for homegrown meats, I may have given too much information about the fate of "blacky". Especially for the unsuspecting pregnancy bunch, which just happens to make up half of my friends! I will try to be more PC in the future :)

I did have a hard time growing up with a couple of the animals that "went to greener pastures", but I just learned that if I wanted to enjoy all the work put into them that I just had to remain de-tached from said beasties. So I purposely kept distance from these critters.

I have to say that it was a very enlightening experience when "They" came to our house to get said animal. Maybe it's from watching all those episodes of Dirty Jobs from discovery, but they didn't mind if I watched (from the comfort of my warm home) but I felt like I was watching something from National Geographic or something. It's like it makes me appreciate the goods more when I know how much hard work goes into not only the raising but in the.....you know.

So sorry for the upsets stomaches, but it was a weirdly fun day for me! I hope you guys don't think I'm some crazy b/c I shared this :) But this was a big day for the amateur farmin' gal!

9 comments:

Peter and Lesha said...

funny, well hope you get to see that pig in the eternity:) glad it was fun and now you will be set for meat that must feel nice.

Jenn @ Cuddles and Cameras said...

Vashti you totally crack me up! I watch "Dirty Jobs" as well, and a lot of it is nasty meat stuff, but I just cover my eyes during that part! :) I LOVE that show...lol... And it's great that you guys raise them yourselves! If we had property I'm sure Will would want to do the same thing, and I'd be *ok with it... sorta...lol... ;)

Musicmom-Amy said...

Well, I'm not one of your preggers friends (now would that be a miracle if I was) and I found your story very entertaining. :D

It's been years since I've purchased a side of beef or pork. I miss doing that. It's the BEST! Even from this true blue city gal!!

Rach said...

This is hilarious. I am impressed, and slightly grossed out. So sweet you have healthy meat, and good food storage!

Alicia said...

I loved this whole pig saga! I just think it's hilarious. I'm not grossed out in the least, just laughing out loud. It's hilarious how you talk about it and you should keep it up and write it down to become the next comical best-seller. Seriously, amateur farming homegrown meats...lol.

Jayme said...

two weeks Vashti...

Kristina P. said...

Vashit, where have you been my bloggy friend? I miss you and your blog! :)

Kneeland Family said...

Well well well, I wanted to see if you posted any more pictures and to hear what new you've been up to...and nope, it's more on slaughtering pigs! Once at Grandpa Christensen's farm, they were slaughtering pigs and I was mortified...I didn't eat any bacon for years. I love meat, but I try not to think about how it got on my plate. I remember when Jewel came back from Dads house and she told me how she just got finished eating her pet horse Sterling. She said it was very yummy. Eesh. That something I couldn't do. Anyways, I'm curious on how the Jullian work out videos are going? I love the Biggest Loser and sometimes when I'm working out and I want to stop, I picture Jullian yelling at me to keep going. Well anyways, I hope to see you guys sometime soon.

Andrea said...

Good for you guys raising your own meat. That's awesome and one day we hope to have property to do the same....I must have a tough stomach, and I've never seen dirty jobs so it doesn't gross me out. I think I will still ignorant on the matter.